1. Dorf Lübars
With its village green, Lübars (first mentioned in 1247) is typical of the kind of villages found in Mark Brandenburg. Located in the heart of the Tegeler Fliess stream valley, surrounded by meadows and fields, it is the only remaining village within the Berlin city limits and still has a rural character, with many horse farms in particular.
Foto: Berliner Eisenbahnfreunde e.V.
2. "Heidekrautbahn" railroad
Until the Wall was built, the private railroad Niederbarnimer Eisenbahn (NEB) ran from the Wilhelmsruh train station to Basdorf, Gross-Schönebeck (Schorfheide), and Liebenwalde. Once the Wall went up, the Wilhelmsruh - Schönwalde route was shut down and rerouted to Karow. The original route is to be reinstated at some point in the future.
3. Märkisches Viertel
This large housing development, sometimes referred to as MV, was built in close proximity to the Wall between 1963 and 1974. Its 35,000 residents made it former West Berlin's largest development, next to Gropiusstadt and Falkenhagener Feld.
After 1945, the VEB
Bergmann-Borsig factory for turbines and power station equipment was built at the former Borsig plant in Wilhelmsruh. Today the grounds and the historical factory buildings, now restored, are home to "PankowPark", a commercial park.