The Environmental Zone
The Environmental Zone - General Exemptions
What general exemptions concerning the ban on driving exist according to the Marking Ordinance?
Severely handicapped persons
- Vehicles driven by or with people suffering from impaired mobility or who are severely disabled or blind and whose severe disablement pass contains the codes "aG", "H" or "Bl" fall into the category of general, nationwide exemption of the Marking Ordinance. This means that they do not require a sticker. It will be necessary to present the severe disablement pass at traffic inspections. A parked car must display the parking permit for severely disabled persons behind the windscreen clearly showing the codes "aG" or "Bl".
Berlin residents can apply for the EU parking permit from the road traffic authorities of their district.
Severely persons with the "H" code who do not obtain the parking permit can apply for a certificate of exemption for the sticker obligation from the Senate Department for Urban Development and the Environment (Sentatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung und Umwelt). You will find further information and the application form in the following pdf file:
According to annexe 3 of the Marking Ordinance, the following vehicles are also allowed to drive without a sticker in the environmental zone:
- Vintage cars with the H code or with a red mark whose number begins with 07 are allowed to drive in the environmental zone without a sticker or without a certificate of exemption. This also applies to vehicles which are accredited in a European Union member state to another contracting party of the agreement on the European Economic Area or of Turkey, and if they fulfil equivalent requirements.
Vehicles which are affected by the driving ban in accordance with the Marking Ordinance can obtain a certificate of exemption upon application. Details can be found in the rubric Individual exemptions concerning the driving ban.
- Mobile engines and equipments,
- Working machinery,
- Agricultural and forestry tractors,
- Two or three-wheeled vehicles,
- Ambulances, emergency medical cars with the sign "Arzt Notfalleinsatz" (according to § 52 clause 6 of the road traffic accreditation authorities),
- Vehicles for which the exclusive rights according to § 35 StVO can be called on, such as police, fire brigade, disaster relief and refuse collection vehicles,
- Military and NATO vehicles.
Do other general exemptions exist for the Berlin environmental zone?
The State of Berlin has decided other general exemptions by general order. This means that the following vehicles are allowed to drive in the environmental zone without a sticker or with yellow one: