Planen  

 

Land Use Planning Berlin

Historical maps on land use planning in Berlin


The brochure "Berlin Maps 1862 to 1994" published by the Senate Department for Urban Development gives an overview of the development of Berlin from the Prussian royal capital of the mid 19th century and the metropolis of the early 20th century to the divided city of the post-war period and up to the re-unification and recovery of the status as German capital.

The planning history of Berlin is covered by a number of historical maps, starting with the so-called "Hobrecht Plan" of 1862 and ending with the first joint planning documents after re-unification in 1990. They show continuities and discontinuities in the development of the urban fabric and of planning concepts over this period.

These planning documents cover the whole area of the city at different points in time. With the exception of the so-called "Speer-Plan" of 1938, they were comprehensive in their approach and binding for the administration of the city. Land Use Plans drawn up separately for the eastern and the western half of the city during the post-war period are presented jointly in order to show differences and similarities of approach.

Explanatory comments deal with the political, legal and urban development conditions of the respective periods. In addition, they assess the information base of the different plans, their planning concept, their form of presentation and their impact on development.

The brochure containing eight separate plans, supplemented by the 1965 Land Use Plan (FNP) and the 1994 Land Use Plan and its reviews of 1998, 2004 and 2009 are available here for download as .pdf files:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Berlin Maps

Download