Monuments  

 

Monuments in Berlin


Volkspark WeinbergswegfillEnglish Garden
 

Left:
Volkspark Weinbergsweg
Berlin-Mitte,
1954-56 by Helmut Kruse

Right:
English Garden
Berlin-Tiergarten,
1952 by Willy Alverdes
graues_feld    

Post-War Memorials

 
pfeil_links_3366cc | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | pfeil_rechts_3366cc
 

Listing as Protected Historic Monuments


In order to escape from daily life with its profusion of work and the ever-present landscape of debris, the citizens of Berlin flocked to the rebuilt and redesigned gardens. The "English Garden", officially opened in Tiergarten in 1952, can be traced back to the initiative of the commander of the British occupying forces; the "Volkspark Weinbergsweg" in the eastern section was developed from 1954 to 1956 on the site of a destroyed residential district. The conception of both parks is very similar; in view of their use as regional recreational areas, ideology hardly played a role. In the form typical of the time, the garden planners - Willy Alverdes and Helmut Kruse - combined curving paths and green areas with strictly geometric flower borders. Individual "theme gardens" (stone garden, rose garden, formal garden), which visitors often find in parks from the post-war era, were integrated into each of the parks.

The architectural-political shift in policy after Stalin's death was extremely successful for further urban development in the eastern part of Berlin. In a break with the principles dominant until that time - classic settings and traditionally crafted architecture - buildings were now to go up quicker and cheaper. And that was only possible with a thorough industrialization of structural engineering. Skeletal constructions with curtain wall facades characterized the image of the new street from then on. At the same time, the East fastened onto international architectural development.

 
pfeil_links_3366cc | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | pfeil_rechts_3366cc