Monuments  

 

Monuments in Berlin


Large studio at the Nalepastraße Broadcast CenterfillPhilharmonic Concert Hall
 

Left:
Large studio at the Nalepastraße Broadcast Center
Berlin-Köpenick,
1952-55 by Franz Ehrlich

Right:
Philharmonic Concert Hall
Berlin-Tiergarten, Kemperplatz,
1960-63 by Hans Scharoun
graues_feld    

Post-War Memorials

 
pfeil_links_3366cc | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | pfeil_rechts_3366cc
 

Listing as Protected Historic Monuments


The difference in the architecture in the East and West that characterized the 1950s is especially clear in the examples of cultural buildings from that time: The concert hall in the Nalepastraße Broadcast Center in Köpenick (1951-1956) seizes on the building principles of the classic theater or auditorium. Heavy half columns on the walls - epitomizing the sense of the "National Tradition" - set the tone of the room. By contrast, Hans Scharoun, head of the Office for Municipal Planning and Construction, broke with traditional architectural conventions with his Philharmonic Concert Hall built from 1960 to 1963 in Tiergarten, by setting the orchestra area in the middle of a polygonal space. With its curving wall and ceiling sections, the "acoustic sail", and the podiums set within one another, a strange, incredibly creative and completely new kind of space was born
 
pfeil_links_3366cc | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | pfeil_rechts_3366cc