Berlin Housing Estates of the 1920s - on the UNESCO World Heritage List
Großsiedlung Siemensstadt - Ringsiedlung -
Districts of Charlotten-
burg-Wilmersdorf and Spandau
Siemensstadt Metropolitan Settlement antedates the modern concept of a relaxed city atmosphere in green surroundings even more strongly than White City, which was built at the same time, thereby pointing the way to domestic construction after World War II.
The project was given the byname of "Ring Settlement" because, with the exception of Paul R. Henning and Fred Forbat, all of the planners involved (including City Building Councillor Martin Wagner) were members of the architect's association called "The Ring".
Scharoun arranged the rows of houses strictly in a north-south direction. The population of old trees was conserved, emphasising the countryside character of the settlement right from the beginning.
Despite its strict urban design, the settlement appears architecturally diversified. It demonstrates the whole range of new architecture, ranging from Walter Gropius' cool functionalism to Scharoun's strictly differentiating style of design to Hugo Häring's organic variety of designs.
End block 1955/56 designed by H. Scharoun, colours restored in 2000 according to findings, in 2005
Entrance to settlement on Jungfernheideweg, in 2005