Berlin Housing Estates of the 1920s - on the UNESCO World Heritage List
Großsiedlung Britz - Hufeisensiedlung -
The Britz Metropolitan Settlement for 5,000 people was erected from 1925 onwards on the premises of the former Britz Manor. Taut integrated architecture and topography, not only with the horseshoe surrounding a glacial pond that gave the settlement its name. He used asymmetries and a staggered arrangement of the blocks of buildings as his defining urbanistic principle.
Three-storey buildings of flats frame lower two-storey rows of individual houses. This frame, with its "red front", appears almost rugged along Fritz-Reuter-Allee, a provocative demarcation from the neighbouring Eierteich Settlement with its traditionalistic design. Upon protests from Conservative members of parliament, the magistrate had taken these premises out of Taut's area of planning and assigned them to DeGeWo. That is why construction phases 3 and 5, with their rows of houses on Buschkrugallee and Parchimer Allee, are situated apart from the rest of the Horseshoe Settlement.
In the sixth and final construction phase in 1929/30, fourteen rows of houses, standing decidedly closer together, were built showing a reduced design and having no projections and set-offs. This permitted a more rational construction with just a few elements, a reaction to the reduction of subsidies from rent tax proceeds.
District of Neukölln
Formation of rooms on Hüsung, in 2005
Staggered terraced houses on Paster-Behrens-Straße 1-19, in 2005