World Heritage / Prussian Castles and Gardens
Königstraße, Zehlendorf; public gardens with Schlosspark Klein-Glienicke (Castle Park of Lesser Glienicke) since 1683;
Pleasureground, 1816 by Peter Joseph Lenné,
expansion, 1824-45 by Peter Joseph Lenné;
from 1845 by Prince Carl; structural modifications 1939;
restored since 1979
The Klein Glienicker Leisure Garden (with flower garden) is regarded as the earliest, most important example of a classical landscape garden in Prussia. Peter Joseph Lennè determined the design for its owner, the Elector Karl August von Hardenberg as early as 1816. After its acquisition by Prince Carl of Prussia, the son of King Wilhelm III, a working relationship between Peter Joseph Lennè and Prince Carl began with the goal of creating a landscape park according to an English model. This relationship would last for decades. In 1824, Karl Friedrich Schinkel began converting the old billiard house into a casino; reconstruction of the castle into a Classic design began one year later under his supervision. The Leisure Garden was completed to the highest artistic degree by installing and converting park structures, through ever richer ornamentation with imported woods, exotic plants, as well as valuable works of art, fountains and pergola.
Ongoing restoration work since 1978 has been conducted in strict adherence to the state of development achieved in 1850. The objectives of historic garden preservation are to reestablish the alternating vantage points into the Havel landscape and towards Potsdam, to equip the diversified network of paths with former design elements such as original works of art, flowerbeds, fountains and benches, as well as to provide the garden with rich wood varieties so that the significant heritage of Potsdam's cultural landscape might be reclaimed.
The large-scale restoration of the Leisure Garden has drawn international attention and was largely concluded with the last tree plantings in 1997.