Marienkirche (Church of Mary), Karl-Liebknecht-Straße 8, Mitte;
around 1270/80, completed at the beginning of the fourteenth century, renovation after 1380; bell-shaped spire, 1789-90 by Carl Gotthard Langhans, restoration 1969-70
To the west of Alexanderplatz, a large square comes into view at the foot of Berlin's TV tower with flower beds, benches and fountains. There a meticulously constructed forum was built in the sixties to provide the new capital with an attractive location to linger and mingle. The forum was built on the site of several pre-war city blocks, complete with public gardens, the Neptune Fountain, and the solitary Marienkirche and the TV tower.
Today, the Marienkirche is the only reminder that a market quarter including its own church was established here in the late thirteenth century, the first medieval urban expansion of Berlin. The buildings that grew up around the Marienkirche over the following centuries were destroyed during the war. The late-Gothic brick church has survived to this day in its historical form. Richly structured, bundled pillars characterize its wide interior. Germany's oldest mural, a late Gothic fresco from the last third of the fifteenth century entitled The Dance of the Dead, is located on the northern interior wall of the tower. The richly adorned marble pulpit was produced in 1702 by the architect of the Berlin castle, Andreas Schlüter. In 1790, C.G. Langhans, architect of the Brandenburg Gate, designed the copper-fitted, bell-shaped spire inspired by Gothic design.