Klosterkirche, Klosterstraße 73A, Mitte;
um 1250, um 1300 Chor angefügt, seit 1945 Ruine
Klosterstrasse (Monastic Street) is named for the former Franciscan monastery founded in the mid-thirteenth century at the eastern edge of the city , immediately in front of the city wall. Since its destruction during the war only the ruin of the Klosterkirche remains. Remnants of the former medieval fortification ring erected to protect both sectors of the city are still to be found today in the area around Waisenstrasse. In keeping with the order's principles of poverty and simplicity, the church construction is quite simple, incorporating neither transept nor towers. Even today its spare ornamentation documents the expert craftsmanship of the medieval builders' guild, which also constructed the Brandenburg Cathedral as well as the Cistercian settlements in Chorin and Lehnin. The Klosterkirche is the city's oldest brick church and the first church in Berlin to be completely vaulted in. Since 1982, the church ruin has been used for exhibitions and theater performances.