Viktoria-Luise-Platz, Stadtplatz (City square), Schöneberg;
1900, by Fritz Encke
The Viktoria-Luise Platz was constructed in 1898 according to an award winning design by Fritz Encke. It is an outstanding example of an imperial-era ornamental horticultural square. An impression of a spacious unified entity is created by enclosing the square with an avenue lined with double rows of lime trees. Its center is highlighted by a fountain which constitutes the focal point for all of the radial streets leading toward it. The longitudinal axis is girded by two monumental colonnades, one enclosing a semicircular bench, the other forming a subway station entrance. The original ornamental planting scheme of topiaries trimmed into spheres and columns displayed the style typical at the close of the nineteenth century. Renovation in 1957 decisively altered the square's appearance, but the spatial conception remained intact despite these measures. The approximate historic design of the square and its traditional fountain were recovered through later restoration efforts. To do justice to the modern urban use of the square, an ornament of colored pavement stones representing Encke's ornamental planting scheme was laid as a substitute for the flowerbeds which originally surrounded the fountain.