Pariser Platz, Stadtplatz (City square) Mitte;
around 1734, 1880 by Hermann Mächtig, restoration 1992
The Pariser Platz is among the most prominent city squares in Berlin. Together with the Brandenburg Gate constructed from 1888 until 1891, it characterizes the western end of the avenue known as Unter den Linden. The square was built based on the plans of the chief building director of royal residences, Philipp Gerlach. Three sites were earmarked for the southern and western expansion of Berlin: the square Pariser Platz, the octagonal Leipziger Platz and the round Belle-Alliance Platz at Hallesches Tor, known today as Mehringplatz. The Pariser Platz was constructed in 1734.
City Garden Director Hermann Mächtig redesigned the square in 1880, adding two ornamental lawn parterres with fountains as festive highlights of the severe lawn parterres composing the two symmetrical halves of the square. The square was destroyed during the Second World War and then became part of the inaccessible border strip from 1961 to 1989. Archaeological excavations of the gardens in the summer of 1992 revealed that, despite heavy encroachment during the German Democratic Republic era, the historic square had retained essential elements of its historical form, including both foundations of the water basins and remnants of the fountain's wreath and ornamental plaster sections. In December of 1992, the open area of Pariser Platz was restored.