Patrizierhaus, Carl-Schurz-Straße 49, Spandau;
path in front of the lot, vault and entrance, fifteenth century
From 1987 through 1988 a comprehensive inventory of the preserved basement floor as well as investigations based on historical sources were conducted for the lot Carl-Schurz-Strasse 49 in Spandau. The first owner was found to be the patrician Claus Hönow, during the period from 1464 until 1478. In 1735, the city of Spandau acquired the property for the commanders of the royal regiment stationed in Spandau. During this period its residents included the Prussian Prince August Wilhelm and Heinrich, the brother of King Friedrich II. Nearly all former basement rooms were filled with debris in 1987. When the western external wall (courtyard side) was exposed, two previously unknown extensions were discovered and examined. Room 11, a narrow, elongated room of the first phase of construction, originally covered with a barrel-vault, had no solid floor and was filled with debris from a fire. The debris included many fragments of bottles belonging to the period after 1750. The rudiments of the arch of a vault and remains of a staircase to the courtyard seem to indicate reconstruction in the late fifteenth century, of which nothing more remains. The damaged staircase was removed in the course of restoration. From the filler material located below (the foundation of the stairway), a number of molded bricks and fragments were excavated, including that of a keystone, along with bricks molded into the shapes of pear staffs from Room 11 and yellow semispherical stones of the sixteenth century, some of which still can be seen in the walls of Room 6. In the alterations of later years many molded Gothic stones from the first phase of building were found, blocked up as filling material. They are comparable to the molded stones in the palace of the Spandau Citadel and are from the second half of the fifteenth century. The new building for residences and offices completed at the end of 1990 stretches over the area declared as a historical monument. In the basement rooms the Office for Archeological Monument Maintenance and the Spandau City Historical Museum hold a permanent exhibition on the building history of Spandau.
Admission upon registration at: +49 (0)30 3339388 (Spandau Information) or +49 (0)30 3346270 (Patron Association).