Gutshof Rosenthal, Hauptstraße 145, Pankow-Rosenthal;
boulder cellar, 13th century
From May through August 1998 an archeological excavation was carried out at the former Rosenthal Estate. The area in question was used primarily as a farm, but belonged in the seventeenth and eighteenth century to the Electoral and royal family. They built a castle here in 1690 which lasted only about 30 years. Numerous remains of the foundation of the castle could be documented. Along with the remains of a cellar, traces of a medieval settlement were also found. A square construction of beams was planked with split boards, partially laid with wooden floors, and among the objects it sheltered were three intact spherical pots. The surviving wood elements were charred and thus well preserved. A dendrochronological examination yielded 1230 as the date the wood was cut. This means that the basement belonged to one of the first houses built here by German immigrants. Just a few meters away the 5 x 5m large boulder foundation of a tower residence was discovered. Its walls were from 80 cm to 1.0 m thick, and covered on the inside with cut and smoothed stones. Unfortunately, its southern section was destroyed. About two meters next to this structure was another boulder foundation originally connected to the basement. The missing section was removed when a sewage pipe was laid. From this extension, probably the remains of the stair tower, an entrance leads to the cellar. The remains of numerous everyday objects and stove ceramic, iron objects, animal bones were excavated from the material filling the foundation, along with additional boulders which formerly belonged to the foundation. The ceramic found in the construction pit and in the lowest layers date the tower to the second half of the thirteenth century. Since the lands of the estate were significantly reconstructed several times, there were hardly any traces of fortification surrounding the tower. The only indications of such a fortification are about ten meters of wattle fence and the remains of a stone wall running parallel to the tower. This previously unknown residence of gentry must have belonged to the family von Krummensee, resident here "from time immemorial" and first mentioned in the Land Register of Kaiser Karl IV in the year 1375. The area has been secured and is to be visibly integrated into the new residential development.