Unter den Linden 13/15
The German Guggenheim is a joint venture of the Guggenheim Foundation in New York and the German Bank. The building, the ground floor of which today contains the exhibition hall, was constructed by Ende & Böckmann between 1889 and 1891 for the Diskontogesellschaft. Between 1925 and 1929, an extension building was added on Charlottenstraße and a link to the Diskontogesellschaft building in Behrenstraße.
The German Bank, which had meanwhile merged with the Diskontogesellschaft, sold the sandstone building to the German Empire in 1933. It subsequently housed the offices of various imperial ministries. After the war it was used by the International Federation of Democratic Women and the Free German Trade Union Association. Since 1990, it has once again become the property of the German Bank.
The latter undertook reconstruction between 1994 and 1997 to plans by the Benedict Tonon Working Group with Fritz Nowotny/Arthur Mähner and Associates. The storey added in 1910 on Unter den Linden was removed, while the structure on Charlottenstraße was stocked up two storeys. The glass veil on the façade in Charlottenstraße is continued in the new glass roof that converts the former interior courtyard to a spacious atrium.
American architect Richard Gluckman redesigned the former banking hall to the 510 square metre gallery of the German Guggenheim and included a museum shop and a café.
Temporary exhibitions of contemporary art drawn from the rich collection of the Guggenheim Foundation are on display.
Landesarchiv Berlin / Waldemar Titzenthaler
Deutsche Guggenheim Berlin / David Heald
Deutsche Guggenheim Berlin / Matthias Schormann (2)
Deutsche Guggenheim Berlin / Tom Sachs