Berlin Tips  

 

Wall Tour - Changes to the historical site

Oberbaumbrücke Bridge



To the south of Oberbaumbrücke Bridge the River Spree constituted the border and belonged entirely to East Berlin. The bridge, which had been badly damaged in the war, was closed in GDR times. The ruins of the two pointed towers were torn down in 1974.

The name of the bridge stems from the fact that the river entrance to the city used to be closed at night here by means of a boom. In 1724, a wooden drawbridge replaced this primitive customs station. The present bridge, now restored, was built between 1894 and 1896 in Brandenburg Gothic brick style to plans by Otto Stahn in the run-up to the Berlin Trades Exhibition. Berlin's first-ever underground railway line crossed the River Spree over this bridge in 1902.

After the fall of the Wall the bridge was renovated at a cost of EUR 102.3 million. A new railway viaduct was built to plans by Santiago Calatrava from Spain. The bridge was opened for pedestrian and road traffic on the fifth anniversary of the fall of the Wall in November 1994. One year later the first underground train on the No. 1 line crossed the bridge to Warschauer Brücke station again.

The neon installation entitled "Stone - Paper - Scissors" by Thorsten Goldberg was commissioned by the Senate Department of Building in 1997.



 
  Timeline Map
Oberbaumbrücke
Oberbaumbrücke
Oberbaumbrücke 2005; Foto: Partner für Berlin/FTB-Werbefotografie
 



Berlin Wall Website Directory / Berlin.de


Images:
Landesarchiv Berlin (3)
Jörg Küster
Partner für Berlin / FTB-Werbefotografie
 
 


 
Senate Department for Urban Development and the Environment
Württembergische Straße 6, 10707 Berlin
Tel.: +49 30 90139-3000

Tempelhofer Freiheit

Tempelhofer Freiheit

Website for pioneers, investors, event managers, tourists and tenants. more