Berlin Tips  

 

From Adenauerplatz to Wittenbergplatz

KaDeWe



Berlin's most famous department store is the only one of the legendary Berlin department stores which has survived. The original building was constructed by Johann Emil Schaudt between 1906 and 1907. Between 1929 and 1930 it was extended and raised by the same architect. After the Second World War KaDeWe was converted several times, the last time in 1993 according to plans of the two architect firms Ströming and Ernsting & Partners. This led to new accents being given to the façade of the monumental block through a new, glass roof restaurant under a t-shaped glass dome. In 1997 the main entrance was redesigned. A further phase of renovation and refurbishment for the complete building started in 2004 - to be completed for the centennial anniversary in 2007. Today KaDeWe is the largest department store on the European continent, famous above all for its gourmet food department on the sixth floor.

pfeil_links_3366ccback
  s2_kadewe s2_kadewe
 





Images:
Landesarchiv Berlin (2)
Andreas Muhs

 
 
 


 
Senate Department for Urban Development and the Environment
Württembergische Straße 6, 10707 Berlin
Tel.: +49 30 90139-3000

Tempelhofer Freiheit

Tempelhofer Freiheit

Website for pioneers, investors, event managers, tourists and tenants. more