The public square was given its name in 1750 in memory of the "Gertraudenhospital" (Gertrauden Hospital), which was founded in the 13th Century, and its corresponding chapel built in 1405. The two structures both originally stood here directly in front of the "Gertraudentor" (Gertauden Gate) of the "Cöllner Stadtmauer" (Coellner City Wall). The square was rebuilt anew on numerous occasions, lastly in 1833 following the plans drawn up by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, and in 1881 the square had to yield to traffic.
The square owes the second half of its name to the public market which was held here up until 1886. In the twenties the square was altered considerably, and soon thereafter it suffered heavy war damage; by the time reconstruction began in 1969, the once densely built-up area had completely lost its original form. The new buildings are meant to once again delineate the virtually invisible Spittelmarkt.
City Centre Planning - Spittelmarkt