In the 1920s it became a legend, and not just due to Alfred Döblin's novel. A contest to redesign the "cosmopolitan centre" was announced in 1929, but the only buildings realised were Peter Behrens' Alexanderhaus and Berlinahaus. During the 1960s Alexanderplatz was converted into a public centre, in the middle of which the "Weltzeituhr" (World Time Clock) has stood since 1969. It was also given a new face through the construction of new buildings such as the 123 metre high Forum Hotel, the "Haus des Lehrers", the "Haus des Reisens" and the "Haus der Elektroindustrie". In 1989 Alexanderplatz regained its mythic stature as a result of the huge demonstrations against the GDR regime that occurred there. A blueprint drafted by Kollhoff/Timmerman for the complete redevelopment of the site has existed since 1993.